Saturday, April 27, 2013

Shake On KC

I have to admit that I have become a fan of Food Network's Pioneer Woman. I even bought the cookbook.  I can put up with Ree Drummond's constant perkiness because of her great photography and the cute cowboys, cowboy children, horses and cattle. But this blog is not about PW.
http://thepioneerwoman.com

The other day I was waiting for PW to come on and had the watch the last few minutes of Paula Deen (not a fan).  She was making some kind of shake with this slightly overweight middle-aged or more guy.  Here he is.  Do you recognize him?
Read more at http://nashvillecountryclub.com/CountryMusicNews/5873/#.UXvUAr9OimQ

That my friends is the legendary Harry Wayne Casey.  Never heard of him?  How about KC and the Sunshine Band?  Yeah.  When I had a stint as a deejay at a small market radio station that played block format (country in the morning, easy listening in the afternoon, and R & B at night...bad format), KC was the only white guy cool enough to make it to the top of the R & B chart.

Remember, Shake your Booty, Get Down Tonight, Boogie Shoes?

(Photo from www.scoopweb.com)
Well, he and Paula made KC's Shake Shake to go along with Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burger with Dill Mustard sauce.

After seeing this episode, I checked and he is still out there.  After '70s music came back in style, he reformed The Sunshine Band and hit the road doing some 200 gigs a year.  KC even performed on American Idol in 2009.

That's all great. But don't let my music guys show up on cooking shows. The next thing you know the music icons of my fun days will be doing Polident commercials or pushing reverse mortgages.

The kicker—after Paula tasted the Shake, she shut her eyes, licked her lips, and said, "That's the way I like it, uh-huh uh- huh."

PALEASSEEE

No comments:

Post a Comment