Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Turkey Talk

OK, I know I said I was taking a break. But since I've been cooking all day, I've had time to think about some Thanksgivings past.  I think I'll share two of the most memorable.

About 1992, when we still lived in town. I had put a turkey in the oven in one of those roasting bags. When it was finally done and falling apart, the following scene took place.


Me:  Thank goodness it's done.  (I open the over door)


Howard:  Stand back. You know you are too clumsy to take that out of the oven without dropping it. (He reaches in and grabs the pan.)


SPLAT


Hayley:  (About 11 years old)  Olivia, Jason, come quick!  Daddy dropped the turkey on the floor!  Hahahahahahahaha.


Me:  Great.




Another one.

About 1996.  I'm cleaning up the kitchen and washing the electric knife that I had carefully used to slice the turkey, without incident.  I reach across for something and slice my finger. Blood is going everywhere.  It looks like the Dan Akroyd  version of Julie Child on Saturday Night Live.


Me:  I think I need a cold towel.


Jason:  Oh man, you really sliced it.


Howard:  (From his recliner, not looking)  Do you need a bandaid?


Jason:  I think it's a little late for a bandaid.  I can see white stuff in there.


Me:  I think I better go get some stitches.


Howard:  Emergency Room! Your favorite place.  


Jason takes me to the ER and they don't take me immediately. 


We wait.  They finally call me.


Jason:  Can you tell them to hurry. I really didn't plan to spend all night here. I have plans.


Me:  I'll try. Sigh


Happy Thanksgiving. May there be no turkeys on the floor or blood on the counter.

1 comment:

  1. Terry says I'm tired. Must have been. Two typos fixed. See, I've been sent to the House of Corrections again.

    ReplyDelete