Sunday, November 27, 2011

Here today, gone tomorrow

Yesterday I decided it was time to get out the Christmas decorations. I used to think this HAD to happen on Thanksgiving night.  Now, I'm two days later.  This could be a trend I enjoy.

In going up and down the steps, bending and stooping, I got rather warm. It was a warm day with winds so high there was a severe wind advisory for our area. At one point I even contemplated turning on the air conditioning, but knew I'd be scolded.

Today we wake up to much colder temperatures and rain.  When I looked in my nearly-empty pantry, my husband said, "You better stock up. It may snow."  That, in this part of the country, means go to the grocery store and get milk and bread.  Do people in snow-heavy states, say Vermont, feel the need to grocery shop from October to April?  Just wondering.

Well, according to the Weather Channel, Monday, there is 50 percent chance of rain/snow showers with the high predicted for 39 and the low for 35.  More snow showers, 60 percent chance, are also on tap for Tuesday with highs in the upper 40s and a low of 31.

Do any of you remember the big snow of March 22, 1968 when we, in this part of the state, ended up with an impressive 16.5-17 inches of snow? The day before I had been outside in shorts,  I know that's not a lot of snow if you live in North Dakota or Alaska, but it Mississippi, that's big snow. 

I say that to reinforce the saying, "If you don't like the weather in Mississippi, just wait a day or two and it will change." I don't know who said that, and I certainly don't want to be accused of plagiarism, but how true.

I guess all the school administrators are counting the days left in the semester and checking the weather and worrying. I used to be in their shoes.

All I know is that I have Diet Cokes and quilting material, and if it snows, you know where I'll be.

Snow in Barr 2006 (HP)

3 comments:

  1. Having lived in Vermont, I can say that while they don't look forward to 17 inches of snow (except the ski resorts), they don't run out to the store for milk.
    I've never understood buying refrigerated goods if you think the power might go out anyway....
    17 inches of snow in VT may be considered a hassle by some. (You have to shovel it, after all.) But, schools and offices don't close because of it.
    -John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Desmond and I will be investing in a snow blower, snow shovels, roof rakes and gallons of bottled water and non-perishables this year. Can you believe it? The weather here in KC is so different from Mississippi. Our first snow is predicted to fall this Saturday. Our HOA fees include snow removal. Good thing since KC had 84 inches of "sneeu" from December - March last winter. Our neighbors said there was snow on the ground from the first week in December through the first week in March. This is new for us - and it is so much colder here than it ever was in Mississippi. We have had to turn on the fireplace back in late September. Like you, I too get scolded using the heating and cooling facilities in "inappropriate situations." Tee-hee-hee! I do miss the Mississippi weather. I think I may not make it past Christmas here! -Nata-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe the summers will be better than Mississippi summers.

    ReplyDelete