Saturday, October 29, 2011

Meet My Jilly

Meet Jilly. I'm so lucky to have been blessed with such a great dog.



I adopted her from the Senatobia-Tate County Animal Shelter (http://stcpets.org/) in March 2010.  We didn't know what she was except a ball of white fur with a black and brown eye patch—some kind of Collie mix, I was told.  She looked like a white possum when she was little, so Howard still calls her that and she doesn't seem confused with our calling her different names.

Jilly blends in with stuffed animals.


She had a rough start with some upset stomach problems. Then in September 2010 she disappeared. I walked through the woods, calling her. We rode up and down roads. No Jilly.   Finally after a week or so of looking, I put a little message on Facebook about losing her and what a great dog she was becoming. Moments after I posted, my former 4-H-er Denee Crockett Turner called.  "Miss Nancy, I have your dog!" 

Denee lives about two miles from us. She and her little boy were checking the mail in her Gator when Jilly jumped right in for a ride, like she does with Howard.  Denee's dad brought her home the next morning.

She must be a Border Collie mix.  She herds the kids when they run and crouches when she plays. After another failed attempt to take Cash through obedience school, I substituted her mid-way through the lessons, and she was amazing.

Sample photo


This is the kind of dog you can adopt from the shelter. And speaking of the shelter, Dec. 3, Friends of the Shelter Animals (FOSA) will host the first Santa Paws Christmas photo event. (See display ad in my sidebar) You can bring your favorite pet, if it can be contained or managed on a leash, to the Senatobia Community Center between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m.  Cost for a 4 x 6 print by Batesville-area photographer Malcolm Morehead is $10.  Proceeds benefit FOSA's spay and neuter program.



Hope to see you there. Jilly may make an appearance.

2 comments:

  1. So, I attempted to post a comment here about how all of our pets have been rescues, of one sort or another, and how wonderful they have all been. But I didn't get to finish.
    You see, just as I was hitting "Post Comment", my wife yells over from the corner of the house, "We have kittens!" Sure enough, two tiny black and white kittens had wandered up - from the neighbors barn I suppose - and were proceeding to make themselves at home in our garage. Anyone want some kittens? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you live a little far for me to get kittens. Thanks for reading my blog.

    ReplyDelete